Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:48:37 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Dr. Walter Funk" <walter.funk@IFB.UNI-ERLANGEN.DE>
Subject:      Q: How to report the mean of minutes?

Dear List-members,

I have a numerical variable representing minutes of use of a certain vehicle for a certain way (say: 4 + 4 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 2 minutes). When I sum up all these durations I get another numeric variable that represents the sum or time in minutes (here: 20). Now I want to know the mean duration of vehicle use, which gives me the number 2,857.

That is similar to the result of the following syntax:

COMPUTE MeanTest = MEAN(4,4,3,3,2,2,2) . compute Sec_Time = time.hms(0,MeanTest). compute Min_Time = ctime.minutes(Sec_Time). exe.

Is this a common way to report the mean of minutes? Or does SPSS offer a simple way to transform this number in a „form“ that represents minutes and seconds?

Thanks a lot for your time and help, Walter -- ************************************************ Dr. Walter Funk Institut fuer empirische Soziologie Marienstrasse 2

D-90402 Nuernberg Germany

T.: ++49 - (0)911 - 22 43 33 F.: ++49 - (0)911 - 22 56 85 Email: walter.funk@ifb.uni-erlangen.de ************************************************