Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main CONCH-L pageJoin or leave CONCH-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jun 1999 04:26:10 -0700
Sender:       Conchologists of America List <CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Rick Harbo <rharbo@ISLAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: info

The toothshell hermit, Orthopagurus minimus, has a straight abdomen and found commonly 2in tooth shells in the northern part of its range (BC-WA-OR) and in broken tube worm cases in the south (CA).

Rick Harbo Marine Images, Nanaimo, B.C. -----Original Message----- From: Marion & Glen Deuel <gmdeuel@HIWAAY.NET> To: CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Date: Thursday, July 08, 1999 3:42 PM Subject: info Dear Conch-L, Someone at the COA Conch-L meeting asked me why I didn't get on the Net more often. Everyone seems to be doing a good job on filling the pages. Anyway, here are some Questions you might think about: 1. What kind of Hermit Crab lives in a tusk shell? (Dr. Abbott casually mentioned in one of his books that a hermit crab inhabited a tusk shell. Does the hermit crab pull the shell or carry it? 2. Why is the operculum of the Door snail (Land) called the Clausilium? 3. Does anyone know of a mollusk species in which the male is larger than the female, except maybe the Pistol Grip, Tritogonia verrucosa (river mussel)? 4. Are there acids other than carbonic (for boring) and sulfuric (for killing). produced by mollusks? Usually I let someone else answer "your " questions. Glen Deuel

[text/html]