Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:11:03 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Max Martin <mmartin@EDGEWOOD-SA.K12.TX.US>
Subject:      Re: Pie Chart Font Size
Comments: To: "James B. Luther, Ph.D." <jluther@POP.NLCI.COM>

Jim,

I live & die (mostly die) by exporting graphics out of SPSS and re-sizing fonts, etc. I like much of what the graphic engine produces, but find it takes a load of butt-work to get them presentable for presentations, web pages, etc.

Some observations:

You can activate the pie-chart, click on a text element and press the "T" button in the Chart Editor Toolbar and select a new size for the text. unfortunately, when you export the graphic, the actual font size exported bears little resemblance to the one selected by this procedure. You might want to select a REALLY big value for the font size (It'll look like hell in SPSS but might be acceptable on the WEB page or other application). you'll have to play with this.

what I actually do is a multi-stage process--more work, better results. I export the chart as a WMF, though JPEG will work--WMF gives much more control over what follows. Then I INSERT the file into Powerpoint (another graphics editor, like Harvard or Visio should work). If I need to, I will resize it, using FORMAT menu commands or dragging the control handles. Then I SELECT the imported graphic, and UNGROUP it, by menu command or double-clicking (You may have to do this more than once, depending on the levels of grouping nested in the image). I then select the text I want to re-size, or edit and do so in Powerpoint. After I am satisfied with the appearance, i will SELECT ALL (Ctrl-A) and Group it again. Then I export the group (Save AS in Powerpoint) as a JPEG, GIF, or WMF file to be used in my destination application, if different from Powerpoint.

Takes some getting used to, but you'll devise shortcuts and have excellent control over your output. Too bad SPSS doesn't use a graphics engine which give the user better control over final output.

Luck

Max

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^ Experience is a wonderful teacher-- ^ it allows us to recognize a mistake ^ after we've made it again! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^ Dr. Max R. Martin ^ Senior Evaluator ^ Department of Research, Evaluation ^ Info Systems & Technology ^ Edgewood ISD ^ 4127 Eldridge ^ San Antonio, TX 78237 ^ Vox: 210-431-9120 FAX: 210-433-5134 ^ e-mail: mmartin@edgewood-sa.k12.tx.us

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ----- Original Message ----- From: James B. Luther, Ph.D. <jluther@POP.NLCI.COM> Newsgroups: bit.listserv.spssx-l To: <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU> Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 10:17 AM Subject: Pie Chart Font Size