Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:38:01 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Jeff J. Voeller" <atrocity@MY-DEJANEWS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Re[2]: More big formats (was RE: Re[2]: selecting from large
Comments: To: Jack Hamilton <jack_hamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:20:13 Jack Hamilton wrote:

>One of my numerous past suggestions for enhancements to PROC FORMAT was >the ability to ignore duplicate entries. I don't know whether that is >or will be in V7 or V8. It would certainly make a lot of my format >creation easier.

When I need to create a format from a dataset, I also usually have to append an OTHER value. Using SQL and UNION will automatically de-dupe the data:

proc sql; create view work.makefmt as select var1 as START, var2 as LABEL, "$blah" as FMTNAME from work.dataset UNION select 'OTHER' as START, ' ' as LABEL, "$blah" as FMTNAME from work.dataset(obs=1); quit;

The "obs=1" may be unnecessary, I haven't really checked it out.

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----- http://www.dejanews.com/ Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums