Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 1997 15:14:14 +0100
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Harvey Monder <Harvey.Monder@SANDOZ.COM>
Subject:      Re: GPLOT and Symbol statement question

I agree, but can't you get the same effect by using GOPTIONS COLORS=(BLACK BLACK BLACK) or whatever colors you want to add. Or REPEAT=1 in the SYMBOL statement?

Harvey

______________________________ Forward Header __________________________________ Subject: Re: GPLOT and Symbol statement question Author: owner-sas-l@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU at INTERNET1 Date: 10/5/97 02:53 PM

Back to the original thread (as opposed to getting into the discussion of programming languages!), it sure would be nice, and backwards compatible, if SAS offered a GOPTION, something like: goptions SYMORDER=COLOR; * loop through colors first, current default; goptions SYMORDER=NUMBER; * loop through symbol statements first;

Perhaps something to this effect has already made the SAS ballot, but if it hasn't, I'd like to see it there. The problem with having to define the colors explicitly is that you lose some portability since color availability is device dependent. While YELLOW looks great on my screen with a black backround, it looks crummy on a white page printout. And the mainframe has a only a few colors while my PC has thousands.

On the programming language front, as a professional programmer I have to say - whatever works. I have no worries about job loss in the event that somebody designs the perfect natural language compiler. My value will remain in my ability to think through problems and analyze available solutions. The vagaries of different programming languages are merely aspects that must be considered in choosing a solution. With an environment as big as SAS, and with the expense of the manuals, I would never disparage somebody for missing a detail. I think this list is too valuable a resource for people to feel that they can't ask a question without ridicule or rude comments. So lighten up!

Amy Roehrig Trilogy Consulting