Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:42:33 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Howard Schreier <hschreier@IGC.APC.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Define a format vs Merge

Douglas Dame <dougdame@HPE.UFL.EDU> wrote:

> I dynamically write formats for this kind of look-up fairly often, > using a data _null_ statement to write out a proc format to an > external file, which I then immdiately %include to load the format > into memory. This works well, and is a convenient hands-off > "data-driven" way of handling these problems.

I used to do much the same thing. I had a macro, adapted from one presented at our local SUG. But now the CNTLIN option on PROC FORMAT offers a more straightforward way of accomplishing this.

> However, for reasons now lost in the fogs of antiquity, I use > 10,000 obs (expected to be in the look-up table) as the cut-off to > decide whether I'm going to dynamically spin out the format or > write code that will do a merge. This 10,000 number threshold > probably needs to be revisited ... my PC has more memory than my > mainframe did xx years ago .... things change, sometimes even for > the better. <g> So maybe the practical limit on the number of > values in a format is a larger now.

I recall hearing the same rule of thumb (though it was seldom an issue in my work). The explanation I remember is that PROC FORMAT, in checking ranges in a VALUE statement for overlap, used a brute force approach (second range was checked against first, #3 against #1 and #2, #4 against #1 and #2 and #3, etc.). This makes the number of checks for overlap a quadratic function of the number of ranges; the algebra is left as an exercise for the reader :-). It's probably because the early developers thought VALUE statements would be written only for short recodes like 1='Male" 2='Female', and did not anticipate the creativity of users in the absence of an explicit table lookup capability.

(signed) Howard_Schreier@ita.doc.gov

::: (signed) Howard Schreier, HSchreier@igc.org :::