Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:32:45 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Clay Helberg <chelberg@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Error Messages in LISREL 8

Michelle Yik wrote: > > I got the following 2 messages in a row. Is there any way to get around > with that? Any comments are welcome and please direct all correspondence > to myik@unixg.ubc.ca > > Thanks in anticipation! > > W_A_R_N_I_N_G: Matrix to be analyzed is not positive definite, > ridge option taken with ridge constant = 10.000 > > F_A_T_A_L E_R_R_O_R: Matrix to be analyzed is not positive definite.

Are you using pairwise treatment of missing values? This can often lead to NPD correlation/covariance matrices. If so, you might have better luck using listwise deletion of missing values. If you have too much missing data, you will have to deal with it, either by collecting more data, dropping variables, or using a mathematical solution such as imputation of missing values.

--Clay -- Clay Helberg | Internet: chelberg@spss.com SPSS, Inc. | WWW: http://www.execpc.com/~helberg 444 N. Michigan Ave.| Chicago, IL 60611 | Speaking only for myself....