Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 1997, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:49:49 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Anthony Dymond <dymond@CCNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pre-SUGI Data Mining - KDD Discussion
Comments: To: Thomas_M_Skinner@ccm.fm.intel.com

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Thomas Skinner <Thomas_M_Skinner@ccm.fm.intel.com> wrote: >Dear SAS-Lers, > >In an attempt to provoke a bit of discussion on the topic of Data Mining >a.k.a. Knowledge Discovery in Large Databases (KDD), I thought I'd start >a thread, pre-SUGI. > >Here are a few of the questions I've come up with: >

Tom,

Lots of interesting issues -- here are a couple of notions:

>How comfortable would your organization/company be with a "Black Box" / >Proprietary solution?

I don*t think a "black Box* solution is feasible. A variety of different tools are needed for each situation. Human interaction is also of great importance.

> >Do you perceive this discipline as a "Ph.D. Required" exercise?

Not really. You do need to know enough to learn what you need to know next. (I wore out the door hinges at the UC Berkeley math/stat library on my last project.) A data miner needs to produce practical pragmatic solutions to novel problems. People and management skills are at least as important in order to lead/interact with the local subject matter experts.

> >Do you expect to utilize SAS for any/limited/all aspects of this >exercise?

Yes, extensively, continuously, (almost) exclusively. Nice toolbox!

> >Do you expect a consulting/services firm to provide the expertise to >start/administer such a project? Or do you prefer to embark on this >endeavor independently?

(I have a kid starting graduate school, so I certainly hope consultants are going to do the bullk of data mining!)

I suspect that data mining may be outside the scope of many smaller in- house SAS teams. Data mining can be esoteric even for a very good SAS team. One group can*t do everything.

> >If you are a consultant, do you plan to add this service to your >repertoire?

Yes. Data mining can really leverage the returns from a data warehousing project.

> >Do you see this activity as a macro or micro-mining activity? Based on >hardware? Database Size? Platform/Tool Capability? Other?

By the time the subject matter experts are set up and preliminary data warehouse activities are completed, this can be a fairly significant project. However, I can imagine a small project where everything is already set up and the mining questions are fairly narrow.

> >Are agents/rovers in your future plans?

I did an expert system shell a few years back (in MUMPS) and have been thinking about trying to rebuild it in SAS with a Knowledge Base to impliment a data miner. (I lack only the 300 man-years of spare time to do this.)

> >Is Visualization commonly used in your organization? Is it already >applied in a Data Mining context? If so, for interpretation of >results? Model development? Other?

Visualiztion should be used as often as possible.

> >Where is DM/KDD being applied or do you expect an opportunity for such >an application? Marketing? Sales? Finance? Scientific Research? Other?

Most of what I*ve seen has been used to build a foundation for managment planning. I can imagine data mining being used anywhere, particularlly in marketing research.

> >What do consider to be impediments to starting a DM/KDD project?

Data mining is a new evolving specialty area. Perhaps a current problem is education and awareness, for both the technical and management folks.

> >Is there a need for a SAS Users Special Interest Group for DM/KDD?

Are you suggesting we data mine the SAS community to see if there is a group interested in this?

> >Would you be interested in attending a BOF at SUGI for this purpose?

Sure, thanks for thinking of it and for starting this post.

Tony

========================================================== Anthony M. Dymond, Ph.D. Dymond and Associates A SAS Institute Inc. Quality Partner 4417 Catalpa Ct. Concord, CA 94521 (510) 798-0129 (510) 680-1312 (FAX) dymond@ccnet.com ========================================================== > >I'd prefer that folks respond to the Discussion Group / SAS-L so that >others can benefit from your insights. > >Thanks! > >Tom Skinner >The views and opinions expressed are those of the author and not >necessarily those of the Intel Corporation. I am not an Intel >spokesperson. > >