Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:47:09 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mark Smith <msmith@TUPDEAN1.MED.DAL.CA>
Subject:      Re: SAS and NT

In article <970214215207_702420.204300_BHD53-63@CompuServe.COM>, Zita_Finton@FUSARND.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE.COM says... > > Hi. > > Our systems people are advocating moving from Windows 3.1, VAX Alpha > Open VMS cluster and Pathworks to Windows NT. We currently run SAS > 6.11 on Pentiums and 6.09 on the VAX and use SAS CONNECT. We are

Zita, if you do go the NT route I would be interested in hearing the reasons why and how it works out for you. Personally I have been very happy with both the performance and reliability of SAS under OpenVMS. Under heavy use by multiple programmers for several years now we have never had a system crash. In one month I recall we clocked an average of 8 hours of cpu time (16 hours of runtime) per day for 30 consecutive days. And to my knowledge we have only rebooted the system once or twice in the last few years when installing new hard drives. Microsoft OS products don't inspire that kind of confidence in me.

BTW, we use SAS in batch mode, not interactive. When using the new 6.12 Motif interface under VMS we have had lockups of the application. However this had no side effect for other users on the system at the time.

Let us know how it works out for you if you decide to go the NT route.

-- Mark Smith Programmer/Data Manager Population Health Research Unit Dalhousie University 5849 University Ave. Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 4H7 Canada

Phone: (902) 494-6456

http://www.mcms.dal.ca/gorgs/phru/index.htm