Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (November 1996, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Nov 1996 15:53:25 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Guangzhou Hu <GHU@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU>
Subject:      Help: how to create a group mean and/group median variable

Dear SAS-Lers',

I have a data set that looks like this:

Firm code Project quality 1 2 1 3 1 5 2 1 2 2 2 1 3 2 3 1 . . . . The basic unit of observation is project, each firm can have a variable number of projects. "project quality" is a qualitative variable taking on values from 1 to 5. Now what I would like to do is to create a variable that is the mean or median quality of a firm's project, i.e., I want each value of the new variable to be either the mean or median value of a firm's "project quality" values. The new data set would idealy look something like this: Firm code Mean quality (or median quality) 1 3.3 2 1.3 3 1.5 . . I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Guangzhou HU Graduate School of IEF Brandeis University