Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 16 Aug 1996 07:28:08 +0000
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Edel Christoph MSM PH DE <christoph.edel@DEWE.MHS.CIBA.COM>
Subject:   Re: Incomplete Blocks & Testing Hypothes

Cristian,

you might need to be more specific to receive a comprehensive answer. Are you referring to Type I, II, III, or IV tests?

If you consider Type III hypotheses, which are of the form L*b=0, then for the same set of coefficients L, a re-ordered parameter vector b will result in a new hypothesis. Re-ordering the components in the MODEL statement yields such a different parameter vector, since the design matrix X (or in the case of GLM, X'X) is constructed according to a set of rules which can be found on p.928 ff of your SAS STAT manual (Version 6, Fourth Edition).

As far as I understand, Type II hypotheses should not be affected, but if I am wrong, please will someone correct me.

HTH, Chris

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 20:51:54 +0000 From: pg <cristian@TAMBAQUI.ESALQ.USP.BR> Subject: "Incomplete Blocks & Testing Hypothesis."

Hi, SAS-L users:

I am looking for some information (books, articles, suggestions) about why the hypothesis tested are different if you change the order of the components in the model statement in PROC GLM, dealing with incomplete blocks designs. I know is something related with Searle's "R notation" and I have the paper, but I need further reading.Comments, sugestions bienvenidas.

Thanks in advance Cristian A. Carranza | Fortuna plango vulnera, stillantibus ocellis Cristian@tambaqui.esalq.usp.br | quod sua michi munera subtrahit rebellis | Verum est, quod legitur, fronte capillata, | sed plerumque sequitur, ocassio calvata.