Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:21:26 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "K. Beckman" <102146.2003@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Galaxy? Tickle? Some other front end for a non-techie

"Scot A. Richardson" <cma-mkt@interaccess.com> wrote:

>Some time ago while I was working at (insert consulting firm) I was working on a >project for a non-tech type client. I left the firm before the project really got >going, I need to remember some of the specifics from the project...but alas they now >escape me. In general, we were going to have a *USER FRIENDLY* front end for SAS. The >packages were called Galaxy or Tickle (or something like that). The front end was to >be used for pulling X-tab type queries from SAS data sets. Does anyone out there know >anything about this? > Or more generally, I need to find a user friendly point & click type front end to SAS >that would alow a not tech type to pull fairly sophisticated queries from SAS data >sets. Does anyone out there have a clue for what might be my best bet. I would not >object to some sort of Oracle/Sybase/Infomix type solution... so if you have experience >with that... your input would be forever treasured. > Oh, yeh, I am also open to different platforms. Currently I am running a BUNCH of >UNIX boxes in a het-environ (Sun-SPARC Solaris 2.5 HP HPPA HPUX9.x). I would not mind >going to an NT type of solution... but that would mean that I couldn't have as much fun >as I do in UNIX. > If anyone out there has some wins/losses hits/misses etc. to share you will have my >attention!

Dear Scot:

You might take a look at SAS/ASSIST and find that it MAY meet your requirement. Assuming it is licensed at your site you may start it up by keying ASSIST on the command line and pressing ENTER or by selecting it from the GLOBAL (I think) pull down menu.

If ASSIST is not quite what your customer needs, I'm sure a SAS applicatons developer could create such a front end using SAS AF, FSP, FRAME, EIS (all requireing separate licenses, plus SAS Graph for the EIS portion) with Screen Control Language. The Institute offers classes in the creation of such applications and on each product and the Book Sales department has plenty of publications.

You are fortunate to have such an assignment. Have fun!

Sincerely

Kurt D. Beckman SAS Consultant 553 N. Pacific Coast Hwy, Suite B288 Redondo Beach, California 90277 Voice: 310-318-5291 Fax: 310-318-6220 Cellular: 310-486-4447 E-Mail: 102146.2003@compuserve.com