Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 28 Feb 1996 16:40:39 EST
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Mark Shephard <100423.1105@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS/Connect - two-way communications?

To add to the following discussion... >---------- Forwarded Message ----------

>From: Tim Churches, INTERNET:tchurche@RENICU.RPA.CS.NSW.GOV.AU >TO: Multiple recipients of list SAS-L, INTERNET:SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU >DATE: 28/02/96 03:13

>RE: Re: SAS/Connect - two-way communications?

> >Alan Young asks: > >> Hello, >> >> I have been using SAS for a couple of years now and have a question >> about SAS/Connect (unfortunately I have not been working with Connect, >> so I feel a bit out of touch with what may be a basic question...). >> >> Does SAS/Connect provide two way communication between client and >> server computers? Specifically, what I am thinking of is if I have >> SAS on my PC and I submit a job via Connect to a server (in this case >> a MVS mainframe) can I get have the server return the results of the >> job without having the PC the PC re-login or stay connected? >> I guess a better way to phrase this might be is once my job is completed >> on the server, can Connect log in to my PC and send me the results...? >> >> Thanks in advance, >> Alan >> >> --------------------------------- >> Alan Young >> Medicare Northwest >> email: ALAN_H_YOUNG@ccm.bcbso.com >> > >The short answer is no. Windows only supports the client side of >SAS/CONNECT sessions. Your best bet is to use SAS/CONNECT to upload a >SAS programme to the mainframe and submit it in the background as a >batch job. the last few statements in the batch job should cause an >email message to be sent to you informing you that the job is >finished. The results should be stored in SAS datasets and/or >catalogues in your user directory on the mainframe. You then log back >in fro your Windows SAS/CONNECT machine and download the results.> > > > >Tim Churches

If the PC can support APPC connectivity - OS2 with CM2 or Windows via an SNA server then there may be an answer. At my current client we have implimented an OS/2 / MVS solution using APPC such that batch jobs on the mainframe can signon to OS2 PCs using SAS/Connect and deliver their results to the LAN server that that PC sits on. Further SAS tasks can then be started on the PC through the use of REXX programs. It works very well and there's no need to hang about waiting for tasks to finish.

Mark Shephard An Independent SAS Consultant Hindhead, UK