Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:27:24 +0000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "R. Allan Reese" <R.A.Reese@UCC.HULL.AC.UK>
Subject:      Re: Examine procedure gives "Not enough memory" error in SPSSWIN
              6.1/WFWG 3.11

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Quan Nguyen wrote:

> I want to examine the value of the house by county (using 1990 PUMS). > The data file is about 100 MB. The computer is a 486 DX4-120; it has > 16M of physical memory and 80M of virtual mem. Here's the problem:

> ... I've tried running this same procedure on > a UNIX machine with the command "spss -m -s 40m" and it worked > flawlessly. What gives?

I think EXAMINE is one of the procedures that reads all the data into memory. Most procedures use the data casewise, so need only enough memory for one case and the output table. So, for example, you can run 2billion cases through FREQUENCIES on a PC, provided the data don't contain millions of *distinct* values.

R. Allan Reese Email: r.a.reese@ucc.hull.ac.uk Head of Applications, Computer Centre Direct voice: +44 1482 465296 Hull University Voice messages: +44 1482 465685 Hull HU6 7RX, U.K. Fax: +44 1482 466441