Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:05:04 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Christopher Battiston <darth.pathos@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Extract only numeric values from an alphanumeric column
Comments: To: mlhoward@avalon.net

Hi Nat / Mary,

Thanks for the replies! I had a two-fold plan that I was aiming to accomplish: 1) Because 90%+ of our lab values are manually entered, I was aiming to do a mini-audit and see the max / min / averages / counts; 2) Dealing with Transplant, our patients are on immunosuppresants, anti-hypertensives, etc. etc. and I was looking to graph by organ program and see if there are any trends over the past few years.

Having read your replies, I'm thinking I'll do a PROC FREQ for the non-numeric results, with bar charts accordingly.

As I just wrote the line above, is there a way to set up bins by group? As an example, I have test A with 1, 1, 2, 3, 9 as results; I would want bins of 1 - 2, 3 - 7, 8+. For Test B, where I have 0.1, 0.4, 0.8, 2.6, 12.9, I'd want 0 - 1, 1.1-2.5, 2.5+. Understanding of course the bins would have to be medically-determined, but I'm just wondering if there is a way for now to set up SAS to auto-bin values based on the values in the group.

Thanks so much for your time Chris