Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 02:24:36 +0000
Reply-To: "Bradley J. Bergstrom" <bergstrm@VALDOSTA.EDU>
Sender: Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From: "Bradley J. Bergstrom" <bergstrm@VALDOSTA.EDU>
Subject: S. GA/ N. FL kite report
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Today (8/6) Marvin Smith and I drove a route from Valdosta, GA to St. Marks, FL and back and recorded these kites:
1) Brooks Co., Blackwater Plantation, US-221 1.4 mi N of FL line
7 Swallow-tailed Kites @ 9:15 am
2) Jefferson Co., CR-146 (Ashville Rd.), 1.2 mi W of US-221
9 Swallow-tailed Kites @ 9:30 am
3) Jeff. Co., Walker & Sons Dairy, 3.5 mi E of Monticello
5 Swallow-tailed Kites, 1 Mississippi Kite @ 9:45 am
4) Jeff. Co, CR-259 at Cody Escarpment, 1.8 mi (by road) E and N of Wacissa
6 Swallow-tailed Kites, 8 Mississippi Kites @ 10:15 am
5) Wakulla Co., St. Marks NWR
1 Mississippi Kite @ 11:30 am
6) Taylor Co., CR-14 @ US-98
1 Mississippi Kite @ 5:45 pm
7) Jeff. Co., Wacissa River head springs area, canoe launch
40 (!!) Swallow-tailed Kites, 1 Mississippi Kite in one kettle high over the river @ 6:30 pm
It is possible that kites from sighting #4 in the morning joined this evening kettle (only 2.3 kite miles away)
We saw between 63 and 69 STKI and 10-11 MIKI today.
Incidentally, several people we know (including each of us) are seeing groups averaging 3 Mississippi Kites circling different neighborhoods in town right now.
You must be a subscriber to post to GABO-L.
Instructions for subscribing (and the guidelines) are found here:
http://www.gos.org/gabo.html. Please read the guidelines before posting.
Send regular postings to firstname.lastname@example.org
To search GABO-L archives or manage your subscription, go to
To contact a listowner, send message to GABO-L-request@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU