Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:46:03 -0400
Sender:   Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Tom Striker <tastriker@TDS.NET>
Subject:   European Goldfinch in Clarkston, GA

GABO-ers - A friend forwarded some pretty good photographs of a European Goldfinch observed at a feeder in Clarkston during the past week. I've asked for contact information and hope to have information about permission to visit the feeders shortly. If the property owner is open to birders descending on his yard, I'll pass on the details.

European Goldfinch is a common cage bird, and this one is probably an escape. Attempts to establish them in North America have generally failed, although they may be breeding in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin, and there have been reports from Michigan as well. Here's a link to a 2009 report about those birds by Julie Craves at University of Michigan - Dearborn.

http://net-results.blogspot.com/2009/01/european-goldfinch.html

More later..

Tom Striker

Blue Ridge, GA