Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:28:41 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need help with Bringing in SAS Formats from Mainframes to
              Unix Server

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Jack posted the following:

> Sez > <http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/getDoc/en/proc.hlp/a002473473.htm > >: > > ===== > Note: SAS automatically sets the NOTSORTED option when you use the > CPORT and the CIMPORT procedures to transport informats or formats > between operating environments with different standard collating > sequences. This automatic setting of NOTSORTED can occur when you > transport informats or formats between ASCII and EBCDIC operating > environments. If this situation is undesirable, then do the following: > > Use the CNTLOUT= option in the PROC FORMAT statement to create an > output control data set. > > Use the CPORT procedure to create a transport file for the control > data set. > > Use the CIMPORT procedure in the target operating environment to > import the transport file. > > In the target operating environment, use PROC FORMAT with the > CNTLIN= option to build the formats and informats from the imported > control data set. > ===== > > In other words, if you transfer a format between an ASCII system and an > EBCDIC system, the target format will become NOTSORTED, and as a > consequence the lookup will do a sequential scan through the entries > instead of using a binary search. For a large format, this will be > inefficient. > > I think it would be safest to use the CNTLOUT/CNTLIN method described > above. If you want the format values to be in a particular order > (because you want results to be displayed in the same order on multiple > operating systems), you should set the NOTSORTED flag in the original > format, and that will force the same order on all systems. You > shouldn't depend on the accident of the collating sequence. > Jack, you make a very important point here that cross-platform file transferees should take to heart!

It makes me wonder about PROC UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD. I believe, hope, pray, posit, surmise, wonder if, question whether or not the formats that are uploaded or downloaded between EBCDIC and ASCII hosts are reordered by the way-smart SAS/Connect software? Unfortunately, though my middle name is Mainframe, I currently do not have access to one and cannot test out this assumption/assertion/hope.

It would be nice if a SAS-L-er with one foot on a mainframe and the other on Windows or UNIX could perform such a test and inform the larger group. Um, it would also be a nice task for a birdie that is looking for that last thing to do before kicking back for a fun summer weekend...

Jack, best of luck to you in all your SAS endeavors!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com

SAS Press Author Page: http://support.sas.com/publishing/authors/raithel.html