Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:58:31 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Zack, Matthew M. (CDC/ONDIEH/NCCDPHP)" <mmz1@CDC.GOV>
Subject:      Bivariate choropleth maps--Any SAS GRAPH or PROC GMAP code
              available?

For a map of the U.S. States, I'd like to plot on the same map two variables, the mean of a quantity and a measure of its variability (for example, the standard error of the mean). The means of the States could be grouped by color or grey shading as in the typical "univariate" chloropleth map, but the measure of variability would determine the intensity/ hue/density of the coloring such that the more variable the measure, the less intense the hue would be. Another alternative for the measure of variability might be cross-hatching or stippling with grey shading.

I've searched without success the usual places--Lex Jensen's Internet site, the SAS data visualization Internet site, Mike Zdeb's book and some of his SUGI papers, other graphics sites, and the SAS-L archives. Dedicated mapping software can probably generate such maps, but I don't have current access to such software (including SAS/GIS). Any other SAS/GRAPH possibilities?

Matthew Zack