Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:35:12 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Data _null_;" <iebupdte@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Interesting finding: Proc SQL create quoted name dataset!
Comments: To: Ya Huang <ya.huang@amylin.com>

Did you see my suggestion for using the DATAn naming convention for naming data sets created and managed by macros? It seems "best" and safest to me.

%macro main(data=sashelp.class,by=sex); /* create macro variables and populate with DATAn names */ %local outest output; data _data_; stop; run; %let outest = &syslast; data _data_; stop; run; %let output = &syslast;

/* create sorted working data save name to WORKING */ %local working; proc sort data=&data out=_data_; by &by; run; %let working=&syslast;

/* use the DATAn names for output from proc reg */ proc reg data=&working outest=&outest noprint; by sex; model weight=height; output out=&output r=r p=p; run; quit;

proc delete data=&outest &output &working; run;

%mend main;

options mprint=1; %main() options mprint=0;

On 1/27/10, Ya Huang <ya.huang@amylin.com> wrote: > A good one :-) > > Seriously, I'm thinking that maybe all datasets created and used inside > macro should be quoted, so that they won't be mixed with dataset outside > macro. This way, we'll never worry about overwrite the same named dataset. > > On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 04:20:02 -0800, montura <kevin@MONTURA.COM> wrote: > > >The best impliction woul be unreadable code - great for job security, > >providing you never want a promotion. >