Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 28 Jul 2009 06:51:21 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Charles Patridge <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:   HASUG MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT AND DIRECTIONS

HASUG MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT AND DIRECTIONS Our next meeting is Thursday August 20, 2009 at SAS Institute 95 Glastonbury Blvd #3 Glastonbury, CT 06033 from 9:00am to 12:00pm Our Topics and Speakers are:

Dwight Fowler, Version 9 Web Based Reporting

This presentation begins with an overview of SAS web clients, highlighting the version 9.2 enhancements, but also covering baseline v9.x capabilities. The talk will focus on Web Report Studio and the SAS Information Delivery Portal. A key understanding is that these are the first complete product offerings from SAS requiring no software at all to be installed on the desktop. SAS Web Report Studio is a 'zero footprint' tool for designing and viewing reports based on data defined in the SAS server. SAS Information Delivery Portal is a tool for capturing and viewing multiple kinds of content together. Typically a front end, customers use it to congregate their reports and graphs, enabling observation of lots of data and the status of the business all in one place. Both of these products continue to harness the power of SAS programming 'under the covers', and are not just for point and click. Dwight will show how SAS programs can be used from these web front ends. He will also discuss how this technology differs from SAS/IntrNet, a product with which many are familiar. This is another chapter in Dwight's ongoing, 'SAS 9 Technology Concepts', overview for HASUG. Previous presentations have been on Stored Processes, Microsoft Integration, and Data Integration.

Dwight Fowler manages the pre-sales team for the Health and Life Sciences industry group at SAS. He has been in a technical role at SAS for many years. His specialty is SAS9 architecture, data integration and business intelligence. For HASUG, Dwight's stated goal is to try to help today's SAS users understand how the new releases of SAS can be of benefit. A SAS programmer, Dwight worked in Information Systems at Aetna, OTIS Elevator and Hartford Area consulting firms for 14 years as a programmer, DBA, systems analyst and SAS representative before moving to SAS as an employee in 1995.

Steering Committee, Coder's Corner

"Two Useful Macros for Your SAS Toolbox" Barbara Barrett, Bristol-Myers Squibb

The Parse macro takes a string and converts the individual items into macro variables and providing a count of the number of items in the string. The Empty macro writes either a default or customized message to the output file when there are no observations to be reported.

"Picture This" Rob Krajcik, Bristol-Myers Squibb

Three picture formats to make your life easier

"%procfreq_compare" Chuck Patridge, ISO Innovative Analytics

This macro takes 2 SAS datasets, and runs a ONE-WAY Frequency on a list of vars which are common to both datasets. It then compares the differences in the frequencies of these variables, and produces a proc print of the distributions with their differences.

"Enterprise Guide. Conditional Logic: Which Way to Go" Janet Stuelpner, SAS Institute

Sometimes you want to run a simple listing. But other times you want to summarize the data. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to set a condition so that you don't have to change your code to accomplish this? In Enterprise Guide 4.2, you are now able to do this. This quick presentation will show you how.

Barbara Barrett has over twenty years of pharmaceutical experience, including work in Clinical Research. She has twenty years of SAS programming experience in multiple therapeutic areas with a concentration in Oncology. Barbara is currently at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Rob Krajcik has been working with SAS software since 1981. His programming interests include: Macro functions, SQL, Output Delivery System, transporting data between host systems, MS office applications, statistical graphics, web design and the SAS Enhanced Editor. Outside work Rob is mostly interested in aviation, both as a private pilot and as a basic ground instructor, and spends a lot of his free time towards both goals.

Charles Patridge has seen SAS in use since 1979 at more than 21 companies on two continents. He is currently working at ISO Innovative Analytics as a Data Manager developing Predictive Analytical Models for the Property & Casualty Insurance and Mortgage Industries utilizing Text Mining. Charles specializes in "fuzzy merge" applications. His areas of SAS expertise lay in BASE, STAT, AF, FSP, Macros, and ETS. Charles founded the Hartford Area SAS User Group in 1983 and has been a member of the steering committee ever since. His website www.SCONSIG.com (SAS Consultant Special Interest Group) shares SAS Tips and Techniques and "links jobs with people and people with jobs" worldwide since 1994. Charles holds a BS in Mathematics with 40 graduate hours in Statistics and passed LOMA I & II, HIAA I & II, Actuarial Parts I & II.

Janet Stuelpner provided programming support in the areas of clinical trials, outcomes research and the financial industry. Janet has been a participant in many user groups on all levels as a chairperson, section chair and speaker. She most recently joined SAS Institute as a Solutions Architect in the Health and Life Sciences Industry Solutions Group.

Remember, space is limited so only 50 attendees can be accomodated. Go to www.Hasug.org and register to attend this meeting. Once we have 50 registered attendees, we will shut down the registration process.

Also, the latest HASUG Flash is ready for viewing at www.hasug.org

We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting.

The HASUG Steering Committee.