Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:28:50 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA)" <NordlDJ@DSHS.WA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: How do I most efficiently remove permament formats assigned
              to many variables in data step?

> -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ben > Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 11:21 AM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: How do I most efficiently remove permament formats assigned to > many variables in data step? > > On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:51:49 -0400, Gerhard Hellriegel > <gerhard.hellriegel@T-ONLINE.DE> wrote: > > >...by the way: why it is important to remove any formats? If they are kind > >of "exotic", like hex10., ok. But normally there are formats like BEST10. > >for nums. Why remove them? It changes nothing, only the "look and feel". > >I sometimes assign DATE, TIME, or DATETIME formats to see what the data > >should tell me, but others? Why? If they are there, like best9., also > ok... > > > > the "look and feel" is critical,at least for me :), to analyze the data. > > I am sure the formats he asked for help to be removed are not basic > formats. Sometime we would not be able to open the data set without user > defined formats attached on.

Just as an aid for future use, you don't need to have access to user formats which have been attached to a dataset, if you set the NOFMTERR option before trying to open the file.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Planning, Performance, and Accountability Research and Data Analysis Division Olympia, WA 98504-5204