Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 2009 11:17:15 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Terjeson, Mark" <Mterjeson@RUSSELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Remote back to local in sas/connect?

Hi,

Just to give a sense that things are possible...

A slight variation to Michael's suggestion, is that a while back I managed having a server on a Unix box and folks wanting to invoke from their local PCs and have results back on their PC, I wrote a small SAS program that I ran on the server to watch for requests from the user to have a SAS program of theirs run on the server (because running the programs on the Unix box was much faster than running the program on the local PC). This little program to take the requests did two jobs, to queue up the program to run, and stream through the users submitted source code looking for any of the users local&network drive and path syntax and replace it with the formal machine/path/file syntax that the network would recognize (i.e. for the whole network, and in unix recognizable syntax, but would work also work to sync PC network drive letters that could be different from the server's point of view as compared to the users actual box.)

Long story short, the local machine could ask the server to use server-or-local datasets, do the processing on the server, then return datasets to the server-or-local box. All without the user having to do any mapping.

The bottom line is that dataset references on either end of the SAS/CONNECT can be found as long as the full formal syntax for the machine/path/file that is recognizable to whichever side is running the code is done. (Barring the appropriate permissions for your environment.)

Hope this is helpful.

Mark Terjeson Investment Business Intelligence Investment Management & Research Russell Investments 253-439-2367

Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Michael Raithel Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 10:55 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Remote back to local in sas/connect?

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Jack Hamilton posted the following:

> > If I have set up a connection to a remote session, I can use > a remote libname to write from the local session to a library > on remote machine. > > Is there a way for code executing on the remote session > inside an rsubmit block to write data back to a library in > the local session (without setting up another remote session > in the opposite direction, and not using sas/share)? > Jack, I agree with Andre. I think that the only way to do this is to use a PROC DOWNLOAD to "force" your remote data back down to a local SAS data library. See example #1 in my SAS Global Forum 2007 paper:

Process Your SAS(r) Datasets Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere You Choose With SAS/Connect

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2007/241-2007.pdf

That is how I have always handled this type of situation. And, there are other PROC DOWNLOAD options that will allow you to download more than just a single SAS data set at a time.

But, having said all of that, I am also wondering if there is a way to do something along the lines of this from example #3:

libname LINUXLIB "/home/marsyst/wessug" SERVER=SASB;

...within an RSUBMIT block on the remote server, where SASB is actually my local server. Kind of like:

libname WINLIB "C:\home\marsyst\wessug" SERVER=SASB;

...so that anything "stored" in the WINLIB SAS data library on the remote server will actually be stored on my local machine.

I don't think it will work, but don't know for sure. Perhaps we will get lucky and a SAS/CONNECT guru birdie will take time off from collecting earthworms and building a nest to chime in on this thread... privately, of course!!!!!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com