Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:05:08 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ken Blankenship <kenhblankenship@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Cochran Shoals + Bartow County Reports 3/29/09

Despite it being breezy, chilly, and overcast, Nathan Farnau and I had some really cool birds today at The Shoals and later along the Bartow County Loop. An eBird report from Cochran Shoals follows.

Today was the first "Swallow Bonanza" this spring on the river; this will get even better as migration ramps up. It really pays to just relax on the observation deck and spend some time sorting through them. Today we had six species of swallows swirling around (perhaps up to 200 birds), including FOTS CLIFF SWALLOW, PURPLE MARTIN, and at least one definite BANK SWALLOW. FOTS CHIMNEY SWIFTS fluttered overhead and sometimes came down low over the water to join the swallows. A White-eyed Vireo sang a few times, we saw three glowing bright yellow and rufous Eastern PALM WARBLERS, and another highlight was a high-altitude fly-over of an AMERICAN BITTERN!

In Bartow County we found personal FOTS shorebirds including LESSER YELLOWLEGS (3), LEAST SANDPIPER (14), SOLITARY SANDPIPER (1), and PECTORAL SANDPIPER (5) in the Taff Rd mudhole. Also on Taff Rd was a pair of LOGGERHEAD SHRIKES, the first time I've seen two together at that location. On Floyd Creek Church Rd, we were glad to meet Hugh Garrett and Patrick Brisse and surprised to find 100+ RING-BILLED GULLS on the ground out in the pasture among the cattle. At the Taylorsville Sod Atlanta farm we found a large group of TREE SWALLOWS and BARN SWALLOWS resting on the sod along with foraging GREATER YELLOWLEGS (6) and PECTORAL SANDPIPERS (5).

Location: Cochran Shoals Unit (Chattahoochee NRA) Observation date: 3/29/09 Notes: Lots of swallows on the river; able to watch at least one (likely two) Bank Swallows for a long period, verified all pertinent field marks. Several FOTS today as far as I know - WEVI, CHSW, PUMA, CLSW, BANS, AMBI, PAWA. American Bittern was a fly-over, a bird headed north high above. Number of species: 56

Canada Goose 16 Wood Duck 4 Mallard 7 Double-crested Cormorant 16 American Bittern 1 Great Blue Heron 4 Red-shouldered Hawk 1 Red-tailed Hawk 2 Chimney Swift 10 Belted Kingfisher 1 Red-headed Woodpecker 5 Red-bellied Woodpecker 3 Downy Woodpecker 5 Hairy Woodpecker 1 Northern Flicker 4 Pileated Woodpecker 2 White-eyed Vireo 1 Blue Jay 7 American Crow 2 Fish Crow 1 crow sp. 4 Purple Martin 8 Tree Swallow 22 Northern Rough-winged Swallow 100 Bank Swallow 1 Cliff Swallow 2 Barn Swallow 16 Carolina Chickadee 12 Tufted Titmouse 14 White-breasted Nuthatch 1 Brown-headed Nuthatch 7 Carolina Wren 16 Winter Wren 2 Golden-crowned Kinglet 4 Ruby-crowned Kinglet 17 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 7 Eastern Bluebird 1 American Robin 3 Northern Mockingbird 2 Brown Thrasher 1 Cedar Waxwing 27 Yellow-rumped Warbler 48 Pine Warbler 5 Palm Warbler 3 Common Yellowthroat 4 Eastern Towhee 6 Field Sparrow 1 Song Sparrow 1 Swamp Sparrow 5 White-throated Sparrow 27 Northern Cardinal 13 Red-winged Blackbird 6 Common Grackle 6 Brown-headed Cowbird 1 American Goldfinch 23

For directions and birding descriptions of these locations, visit:

http://www.wingsoverga.com/CobbCountyBirdingSites.html#CochranShoals

http://www.wingsoverga.com/BartowCountyBirdingSites.html#BartowCountyLoop

Ken Blankenship Marietta, GA (Cobb County) http://www.wingsoverga.com