Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:48:27 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Akshaya Nathilvar <akshaya.nathilvar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: R "Threatens" SAS, According to The New York Times
Comments: To: Phil Rack <PhilRack@minequest.com>

I haven't got a chance to use R in workplace, but this is the kind of view, I got when I was talking with our very experienced System Manager. "Realistically, R, and it's for-profit cousin S+, are lousy for data management, but good for some types of modeling, especially if you need to get down-and-dirty with the underlying numerical methods. For the data processing world, SAS competes more with Oracle's many products, SQL server analysis services, SPSS enterprise stuff, and a bunch of specialized software."

Akshaya!