Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 2008 06:37:36 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ben <benliu1227@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      data manipulation
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

i'm updating some access tables and i ran into some repetitive tasks which i thought SAS might help.

for example, i have a table in my database with primary key 'ID' that looks like 123.00001 123.00002, 123.00003, 124.00001 124.00002 ... the first three digits represent a specific person, and the last 5 digit represent the times of test

i have another table with the same format from someone else that i need to merge it to my main database. the problem is,since he doesn't have access to my database,he assigned IDs to each row started with xxx.00001, so now i can't add it directly to my table since that'll create duplicate primary key. for example, if i have ID 123.00001, 123.00002,123.00003 in my table, and he has 123.00001, then i have to change his 123.00001 to 123.00004 beofre i can add this entry to my table. i'm now doing it manually which i know is kind of a stupid way to do it, is there a way i can do it in sas to make my life easier?