Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:12:15 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Keeping Sane with Multiple Languages
Comments: To: Anthony <ajdamico@gmail.com>

Nothing will cover them all but C# will definitely be able to help. I believe there are C# interfaces for SPSS now and I regularly work with SAS data using C#.

For things such as Excel and Word, you can use C# via VSTO. I also just used C# against MS Project.

I doubt if there is a panacea but I think you will like C#, especially 3.5. LINQ also promises to make your life a lot easier. LINQ is pure sweetness but it takes getting used to. Extension methods will also jazz up your world.

If you do decide to go the C# route, use my Data Management Utilities to make your life with SAS easier. They are free.

I like C#, as you can probably tell ;-] Now back to coding in it...

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Anthony Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:39 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Keeping Sane with Multiple Languages

I've just started working for a health policy research foundation. I was hired as a data analyst, so I don't work on any one project or area. Instead, I support other researchers by providing computer technical support, statistical analyses, and whatever miscellaneous computer programming they need. Unfortunately, the different groups of people who I provide statistical computing support to don't all use the same language. Some teams use SAS, others use SPSS, STATA, and SUDAAN. I know it's inevitable that I'll have to learn all of these languages well at some point, but I wonder if there's any language out there that would make the most sense for me to invest my time in.. for instance, I know that anyone working in VB Script AND Visual FoxPro should learn C#, because C# can easily communicate with both and this results in far less work for the programmer. For my situation, where I'm going across all of these statistical packages (and maybe some VB Script too), does there exist a good language that can interface with all of them via an API or DDE? I know Python is commonly used for SPSS, but I'd like something that covers them all. I'd really appreciate your advice, as I'm having a bit of a difficult time juggling all of the different syntaxes.

Thanks in advance.