Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:28:07 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Ramsey, Julia" <Julia.Ramsey@CXTOWN.COM>
Subject:   Re: Online learning - SAS & stats for marketing analysis
Comments:   To: Steven Raimi <sraimi@MARKETINGASSOCIATES.COM>

Hi Steven, If you're willing to take an offline route, I'd suggest tracking down an undergrad stats textbook or two for reference. I've got a copy of "Statistics for Business and Economics" by McClave, Benson, and Sincich that serves as a nice reference; though the examples are written for SPSS rather than SAS, it gets at a lot of the basic stuff you're looking for (regression, categorical analysis, sampling, time series, etc.). Check Half.com, you can get textbooks that are one edition old for five bucks or less, and a search for "business statistics" or "applied marketing" will turn up lots of books worth checking into. There seem to be a few that use SAS specifically, though I don't see any (cheap) old editions at the moment. :)

.*^*.*^*.*^*.*^*.*^*. Julia Ramsey Julia.Ramsey@cxtown.com

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Steven Raimi Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 7:26 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Online learning - SAS & stats for marketing analysis

Hi all!

I've been a SAS programmer for decades, and have been able to apply it in a range of businesses. Mostly, though, I've used it for data manipulation. I only took the required stats for my MBA a long time ago, and I've never really had to use any but the simplest SAS stats procs (really, just mean, summary, and a little bit of proc univariate a couple of yeara ago).

My current job, which I intend to stay with a good long while, is focused on analyzing marketing results, chiefly incremental sales. There's existing code, which I've been able to extend, but I'd like to learn more about the theory underlying this analysis, how to better understand and interpret results, and what sort of analyses would be useful for my customers' issues.

Ideally, I'd like to find instruction along these lines "the p statistic can indicate a confidence level for the calculated difference between the two groups' sales rates - how sure are you the difference is real? You generate the p statistic like this:..."

I've found SAS Support's "Online Resources for Statistics Education" (http://support.sas.com/learn/statlibrary/), which should help get me started, once SAS fixes the bug I reported (none of the examples will load). I think SAS Institute's Statistics I class (Introduction to Anova, Regression, and Linear Regression) will be more useful after I've learned more of the basics (especially what stats will be most applicable to my work). I've searched for terms like "Marketing Analytics", "marketing statistics", overview, 101, etc.), but haven't found anything really helpful. I've also looked for "marketing" and "market analysis" and similar terms at Lex Jansen's site, and browsed the online white papers from groups like the American Marketing Association.

So, can anybody suggest where I can find this sort of self-instructional material, especially one you recommend?

TIA, Steve

***************************************************************************** The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. *****************************************************************************