Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:13:18 -0500
Sender:   Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   David Hollie <featherbrain1223@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Fish Crows + belated report of Hooded Mergansers
Comments:   To: tn-bird@freelists.org

This evening while standing out by the house, I caught what I thought was the call of a Fish Crow. I looked up eagerly and saw 8 crows flying directly South. I listened eagerly to see if I could hear them again to confirm it, and lo and behold, I heard a nasal "CAH-uh" as they flew over. They definitely were Fish Crows, the call was classic, plus they appeared smaller and the wing beats were different than American Crows. New Yard Bird!!!!!!!!!!! A belated report: on Tuesday morning (right after the storm of Monday night), there were 2 pairs of Hooded Mergansers on one of our ponds! This is an extremely unexpected yard bird as both of our ponds are not at all suitable for diving ducks. I watched them for quite some time but never saw them try to feed, the only interesting behavior I saw were the 2 males chasing each other around, almost as if fighting over the females! Two yard birds in one week hasn't happened in a LONG time so I'm a happy birder!

Good Birding!

David Hollie Ringgold, GA Catoosa Co.