Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:30:38 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org>" <nospam@HOWLES.COM>
Subject:      Re: How to Bypass 100s of Steps

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:20:16 -0500, Andy Arnold <awasas@COX.NET> wrote:

>I can trap errors any number of ways. But... >How do I tell SAS to NOT process any following steps but to also keep the SAS session/environment alive? >QUIT is not the answer because it halts a datastep but runs the next proc or datastep - probably with disasterous results. >ABORT is not the answer because it kills the entire SAS environment, taking down my work datasets and some of the log. Most of my logs are PRINTTO-ed to external files. >GOTO and %GOTO are not the answer because they have limited scope. > >What I really want is a macro that behaves like this: >%IF &SYSERR > 4 %THEN %DO; > SKIP ALL REMAINING STEPS; > DO NOT SHUT DOWN SAS; >%END; > >I'm running both SAS8 and SAS9 under WinXP. The specific job that raised this issue sometimes gets an OUT OF MEMORY error. The job runs 2+ hours and writes 600+ excel workbooks. When I get the OOM error, SAS kills the offending step and keeps running; that wastes a lot of time. More important is that I'm not aware of the error until an hour or more later. The source code contains 750+ RUN statements, and that's before the macros are expanded. There's no way I can re-write the job to repeatedly say "If no error, then run next step.". > >Thanks for your reading time and your ideas. > >--Andy

Sounds like you are using Display Manager. You might find it advantageous to run in batch instead. That should be compatible with most of the other suggestions people have offered.

As to keeping yourself informed: there are remedies. For example, in most environments it's possible to text yourself immediately when some condition occurs.