Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:27:56 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Excel and Enterprise Guide

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Replying to my own posting on the thread that she originally began, Helen Gardner wrote:

> Thanks for the response Michael, > > Unfortunately, because the environment is 'almost' > thin-client and we have to run EG procedures/code on a UNIX > server, proc import and the libname engine don't have any > concept of where the local machine/windows network is > (besides we don't have Access to PC file formats either - > because it's UNIX). When we right mouse click and select > which server to run on, localhost is not an option. > > SAS have obviously done something slightly special in order > to get this import GUI to work and I was trying to get an > idea of how hard and time consuming it would be to replicate. > I was wondering whether other people had the same setup as > us and the same need to read in the occasional Excel > spreadsheet. Or is our setup totally unique? > > Those papers look good for when I move on to the next site > when, hopefully, I'll have local SAS again! > Helen, ah, now I understand! You are working in an interesting SAS environment.

I am not trying to fit "a square peg in a round hole", but I would be tempted to process the occasional Excel spreadsheet this way:

1. Manually open the Excel spreadsheet.

2. Click on <FILE><Save As> (on the top toolbar) and then <Save as type> "CSV(Comma delimited) (*.csv)" on the bottom of the "Save As" pop-up window to save the file as a CSV file. (If the Excel spreadsheet has multiple Worksheets, each one will have to be saved in a separate CSV file).

3. Use an INFILE statement along the lines of that in the original posting:

INFILE "<Helen's CSV File>" DSD DLM="," MISSOVER;

4. Double-check the CSV file to get the lengths and informats of the variables in it for my INPUT statement (and for any LENGTH/FORMAT statements).

I realize that this is pretty manual in nature, but that is the only other route that I can think of considering your computing environment limitations. And, if you happen to be a consultant and are paid by the hour, what the hey?!?!?:-)

Helen, best of luck to you in your pursuit of finding a way to programmatically crunch your Excel spreadsheets!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com