Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:40:47 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kevin Roland Viel <kviel@EMORY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: AIC versus c statistic in Proc Logistic

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Mary wrote:

> It is good to see that you are in Genetics. My "subjects" are > independent- they are donor eyes of people who have died that had a form > of blindness (AMD), along with "controls" of donor eyes that did not > have blindness; and more definition in which genes/snps discriminate > between those who get the disease versus those who don't will hopefully > help family members determine whether they are at risk or not (but I > don't have family members in this data set, thus I have independent > observations). > > I got the book from Amazon; I went to buy the SAS/Genetics 9.1 Users's Guide and Amazon recommends it as a companion book.

One eye per subject? This is the so-called association study. Its a big trend at the moment. One interesting study is:

Complement factor H polymorphism in age-related macular degeneration. Klein et al. Science. 2005 Apr 15;308(5720):385-9.

I find it interesting because out of 116,204 SNPs, only two had low p-values. See their figure to get a full feeling for this.

Amos has just published a paper discussing GWAS (genome-wide association studies) that may be of interest.

Kevin

Kevin Viel, PhD Post-doctoral fellow Department of Genetics Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research San Antonio, TX 78227