Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2007 16:23:01 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kevin Roland Viel <kviel@EMORY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Need Tips on looking for a SAS Programming job

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Job Seeker wrote:

> Tried Creg list.. same situation. How can I get the list for NGO's and non > profit research organizations?

I think *most* people that contribute on this list are far from your circumstances.

I suggest a different approach. Contact recruiters. I distrust most, if not all, jobs advertisements. I just know too few managers that actually have to search for talent at this level, at least to a point that it concerns them. My impression, which is hopefully incorrect, is that advertised jobs actually already have candidates, but fairness in opportunity is a legal requirement.

Recruiters, however, only earn *if* they place you. Honestly, I cannot recall even receiving a rejection from any job to which I directly applied, not counting large corporations, such as SAIC or NG. Recently, I suggested that I could be part-time help and the person was at least kind enough to respond, though.

I would also be cautious about which recruiters to contact. Some people advertise "jobs" just to collect resumes. That may suit you, but it also makes one too optimistic.

If I had to search for a job, which sadly may be a reality in July if I cannot push my disseration through my department, I would consider going down, not up. As you have observed experience matters and subject knowledge outside programming is paramount. I would try to position myself in a position that places me in contact with the area in which I would like to work.

For the pharma industry, I might consider the FDA as a potential. If my scientific approach is offputting to the business models of pharma, my lack of knowledge of regulations is a killer....

Consider asking for references to recruiters from the list and give yourself 6-8 months to reach the interview process....

Good luck and much sympathy,

Kevin

Kevin Viel PhD Candidate Department of Epidemiology Rollins School of Public Health Emory University Atlanta, GA 30322