Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 May 2007 10:41:29 -0700
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mark Freeman <roam4birds@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Mississippi Kites again, Oconee County 05/30/2007

Around 12:30 this afternoon I saw 3 Mississippi Kites again, this time all were seen together at the same time. Two were adult males soaring low just over the treetops along a small creek near 2300 Colham Ferry Rd (just north of Old Farminton Rd), the third was soaring much higher overhead and drifting south towards Astondale Rd. (GoogleEarth 33.821431, -83.404064 and 33.815676, -83.403905)

Also, after I got home, Carole and I watched the pair of Cedar Waxwings struggling with the same piece of string in a branch of a large sycamore over the front patio. We're trying to video the behavior from the upstairs window, and it's hard to say whether they are trying to retrieve the string for use elsewhere or if they attempting to weave it in place (for a nest?) where we saw them moments ago. According to The Birders Handbook (by Paul Ehrlich, et al), waxwings prefer conifers for their nest, so we're thinking they would likely use the row of Leyland Cypress nearby if they are in fact attempting to build a nest, which would certainly be unusual this far south. The trick is finding WHERE in that thick foliage!

Mark Freeman Watkinsville, GA (Oconee County) roam4birds@yahoo.com

Please report your Swallow-tailed Kite sightings! Visit this website for details: http://swallowtail.internationalbirdsofprey.org/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Bored stiff? Loosen up... Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games. http://games.yahoo.com/games/front