Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:58:08 -0500
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ken Blankenship <kenhblankenship@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      GA Coastal Birding 1/13-1/14

I had originally planned a 3-day coast weekend on my own, but when a pelagic trip was cancelled, Rachel and I were happy to enjoy two days of birding on Georgia's coast together. The weather was gorgeous and abnormally warm.

The Coast Region page is updated on my website, with more DeLorme coordinates, descriptions and directions, and more than 50 photos of birding sites and birds. Visit the page here: http://www.wingsoverga.com/Coast.html

Highlights:

American Black Duck 14, Altamaha WMA (ALT; McIntosh Co.) Blue-winged Teal, ALT Greater Scaup, Andrew's Island Causeway (AIC; Glynn Co.) Black Scoter 2f, Tybee Island north beach (TI; Chatham Co.) Bufflehead 11, TI Hooded Merganser, AIC Red-breasted Merganser 2, St. Simons Island (SSI; Glynn Co.); 8, AIC Ruddy Duck, AIC RED-THROATED LOON 18 (wow!), TI Horned Grebe 6, AIC Northern Gannett 7, TI AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN 5, AIC Black-crowned Night Heron 2, AIC; 12, Tolomato Causeway Pond (TCP; McIntosh Co.) Wood Stork 8, TCP Cooper’s Hawk 1, ALT American Kestrel, various locations Clapper Rail 1, AIC; 4-5, Jekyll Island Visitor's Center (JIVC; Glynn Co.) Virginia Rail 1, ALT PIPING PLOVER 2, Jekyll Island South Beach (JISB; Glynn Co.) AMERICAN AVOCET 250-300 (wow!), AIC Greater Yellowlegs 8-10, TCP; 2, AIC Lesser Yellowlegs 4-5, TCP MARBLED GODWIT 6-8, JIVC; 9, JISB CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD 1, Steve Calver's place in Savannah WESTERN KINGBIRD 1, Glennville private residence Blue-headed Vireo, Pecan Rd. (Tattnall Co.) Sedge Wren 1, Paulk's Pasture (PP; Glynn Co.) Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1, AIC; 5, ALT Orange-crowned Warbler 1m, AIC (lots of yellow, very pretty) VESPER SPARROW 1, Glennville private residence Grasshopper Sparrow 1, PP HENSLOW’S SPARROW 2, PP BALTIMORE ORIOLE 7, Glennville private residence

As Jeff Sewell mentioned in a previous message, the residence in Glennville that is hosting the WEKI and BAOR is more than likely accessible; the couple who lives there (the Griffins) were very obliging and welcomed Rachel and I to come back any time. However, I have not been successful in getting those nice folks on the phone (in several attempts) to make 100% sure they are OK with directions to their house being put on the internet. They have known local birder and GABO member Gene Wilkinson for years so he would be another contact, but he is out of town right now.

Ken Blankenship Marietta, GA (Cobb County) http://www.wingsoverga.com