Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:36:43 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: make and exit status codes

dlewandowski@SOLUCIENT.COM wrote: > >I use SAS with the unix make utility. For each project I have a >makefile that describes the relationship between my data preparation, >analysis and extract programs. It's very effective. > >If you are familiar with make, it's obvious that I'm running all >these SAS programs in batch mode. One nice feature of make is that it >stops processing whenever an executed program has a non-zero exit >status. In batch mode, SAS has an exit status of zero when the program >finishes successfully and 2 when the program has an error. But it has >an exit status of 1 when the program has a warning and that's the >crux of my problem. Often I'm happy to ignore the SAS warnings and >would like make to continue processing. However, I always want make to >stop processing whenever there is an error. > >I've thought of several work-arounds but I can't figure out how to >implement any of them. >1. Use a SAS option to suppress warnings. If this option exists, I >can't find it. >2. Use a SAS option to change the exit status for warnings from 1 to >zero. If this option exists, I can't find it. >3. Get make to ignore an exit status of 1 but stop on an exit status >of 2. >4. Instead of executing SAS directly, have make execute a shell script >that somehow resets the SAS exit status to zero or 2. > >Any help on implementing any of these ideas or any new ideas is greatly >appreciated. > >Dave

Let me suggest a stupid alternative. Have you considered fixing the SAS code so that you do not get WARNING messages occurring? They usually mean that there is a problem, or at least that there *may* be a problem. I would feel better about fixing the code than finding a way to ignore the warnings.

HTH, David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/