Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 2006 11:20:16 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Rambo <michael.rambo@1199.ORG>
Subject:      Re: OT: Chance to Make SAS-L History: Did You Know That...
Comments: To: Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>

To comment out a large chunk of code, just highlight the lines you want to comment and then press CTRL + /. This will comment out the code. To UNcomment the code, highlight the lines of code you want to UNcomment and then press SHIFT + CTRL + /. This makes the code "active" again. This works wonders for me when I'm debugging something.

hth,

Michael.

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Michael Raithel Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 1:18 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: OT: Chance to Make SAS-L History: Did You Know That...

Dear SAS-L-ers,

This is it! This is _YOUR_ chance to help make SAS-L history! You can do so by joining me in making this the longest thread that has ever existed in the storied history of this happy medium that we call: SAS-L. In doing so, you will not only help to make SAS-L history, you will also be an integral part of it!

All that you have to do is contribute a single SAS tip to this thread. It doesn't necessarily have to be something profound; just solid and accurate.

This opportunity is good for prolific posters, for occasional posters, for once-in-a-blue-moon posters, and especially for lurkers who have never posted before. Everybody on this list knows _SOMETHING_ about SAS. So, pick your best tip and post it--even if you are sure that others already know it. It could be that somebody doesn't know it, or that you refresh somebody's memory.

So, here is how this will work. You simply write: "Did you know that: " and follow it up with your brief SAS tip. It couldn't be any easier, could it?

Okay, so I'll get the ball rolling. Here goes:

Did you know that: you can increase the page size of SAS indexes when they are first created by using the IBUFSIZE option? The default IBUFSIZE is 4096 bytes. You can change that setting by specifying IBUFSIZE=xxxxx. The author of a recent book on SAS indexes recommends setting IBUFSIZE=32767 (the maximum) on all SAS platforms except for z/OS, where he recommends setting it to 27648. (However, he presents the caution that this has not been rigorously tested on SAS data sets of varying sizes on _ALL_ of the operating systems that SAS is run on. So, your mileage may vary).

Hey, that was easy. Now, it is your turn!

If you need more incentive to participate, then consider these inspiring words:

From this day to the ending of the world, But we in it shall be remember'd; We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (and sisters); For he (or she) to-day that posts with me Shall be my brother (or sister);

I'll bet that did it. Okay, now get posting!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com