Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:58:02 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joe Whitehurst <joewhitehurst@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need advice on using a macro inside a data step array loop
Comments: To: lzhang9830@YAHOO.COM

LZ,

As I have convinced many of my clients, that is a small price to pay for the accelerated development cycles, the creation of much more modular, maintainable, reusable components of whole systems. And, remember, a SAS/AF license is needed only for each developer. No user needs a SAS/AF license.

I doubt SI can be pushed, but it might be led if enough users clamored for the capabilities of SAS/AF to be made available to Base SAS developers. I understand that some of it already is (various SCL functions that are available in the datastep and through the macro function sysfunc and even the possibility that SCL code can be compiled without SAS/AF installed). Part of my self-appointed mission is to raise awareness in the SAS Community of the existence of a fine alternative to the antiquated SAS Macro Language even at the risk of a little unhappiness among the few visceral reactors bound to be part of any large group bless their dammed souls.

Joe Whitehurst -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Lei Zhang Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:14 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Need advice on using a macro inside a data step array loop

Joe, SAS/SCL does has some programming features. The fundamental problem is that the SCL license is too expensive and few people can afford. (As I was told, it normally cost $4000 -$5000 per person. ) Is there any way we can push SI to transfer SCL or part of SCL main features into SAS/BASE in the next release?

LZ

Joe Whitehurst ??: