Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:40:46 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mike Rhoads <RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Global macro variables in autoexec (WAS proc sql options in
              autoexec.sas ?)
Comments: To: RJF2@CDC.GOV

Macro Maven Ron Fehd writes (in part):

you do not want to put a global macro variable in your autoexec. someone will erase==SymDel it or your code will not have access to the autoexec, etc.

Interesting point. I can certainly appreciate both of these as being theoretical possibilities. However, I have never had particular problems with this technique, which I have been using for many years.

Are there any good alternate strategies that provide similar functionality and are relatively easy to use, without having this potential drawback?

Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com