Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:22:45 +1000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         adam <adam.is@LARGE.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Q on PC SAS on a notebook.
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 18:46:33 -0500, Rickards, Clinton (GE Consumer Finance) wrote:

> Adam, > > Assuming you are running this data on a server now,

Nope. 11gb would run our server close to the red-line. (We're a mainframe organisation by asset and even more so by culture. It's a long story. Don't ask :-) )

> does your company offer VPN access so that you can run your programs on > the same platform from home?

Yes and no. Yes to the VPN, No to LAN/mf access. (My CIO is a nutbag.)

Thanks for that Clint. > > Clint > > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of adam > Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:01 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: Q on PC SAS on a notebook. > > > On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:09:47 -0500, "Fehd, Ronald J" wrote: > >>> From: adam >>> I've had a trawl through the archives but can't find anything >>> recent re my question so.... >>> >>> Are current notebooks capable of acceptable performance by PC >>> SAS (current version) against a flat file whose raw specs are; >>> >>> a) 45 million records >>> b) 41 variables >>> c) is 11gb in size >> >> Oh, you ate way too much turkey over the holidays: > > We eat seafood in Oz over the Xmas hols. But you're correct on the > principle though. Burp. >> >> * how did you get the data on the machine? > > I haven't. It's a hypothetical. (But see below) > >> * -why- did you get the data on the machine? >> * what did you expect to do with this data? > > To significantly improve my case for working from home. > >> * where are the backups? >> * can you fit this on on -one- CD/DVD? > > Theoretically it will easily fit on a DVD after running a compression > utility against the raw extract. >> >> I actually have no experience in running SAS on a notebook/laptop, >> but sure wouldn't even consider it for the above reaons. > > Errr. You haven't actually given any "reasons" > > > > cheers > Adam