Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:35:43 +0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Anton Balabanov <Anton.Balabanov@fup.unn.ru>
Subject:      Re: creating a composite variable to count number of mentions

Hi,

if I understood properly, this situation is typical to apply multiple response option (under Analysis --> Multiple Response). It could be run also via syntax.

Suppose, you have the following data:

DATA LIST LIST/id v1 to v4. BEGIN DATA 1 1 3 2 2 4 5 3 1 3 3 6 4 3 4 1 2 5 4 6 END DATA. EXECUTE.

VALUE LABELS v1 to v4 1 'tought 1' 2 'tought 2' 3 'tought 3' 4 'tought 4' 5 'tought 5' 6 'tought 6' 7 'tought 7' 8 'tought 8' 9 'tought 9' 10 'tought 10'.

The following command will do this job:

MULT RESPONSE GROUPS=$toughts (v1 v2 v3 v4 (1,10)) /FREQUENCIES=$toughts .

It gives you the percentage from the total number of opinions expressed as well as the persentage from the total number of people expressed at least one opinion.

Hope this helps,

Anton Balabanov

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Nico Peruzzi Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 4:59 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: creating a composite variable to count number of mentions

I have 4 variables that are the result of coding an open-ended question. There are four because some people's answers contained mroe than one thought (a maximum of four thoughts).

I'd like to create a single variable (I think?) or compute something that tells me simply what proportion of the time a certain code was mentioned. Say I have 10 codes - I'd just like to be able to report what proportion of people mentioned a code AT ALL.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I'm on SPSS 13.

Thanks, Nico

-- Nico Peruzzi, Ph.D.