Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:28:43 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: repeat macro replacing variable each time

wilsonjaredm@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Sorry for the somewhat basic question, I'm just getting started with SAS.

Okay, that's not a drawback. But it does mean that you may not be making sound choices in database design or process flow, since you're not used to the way SAS works.

>Basically I want to call a macro (genmodsummary)100 times, replacing the >ran1 variable with 100 different randomly generated variables (ran1 to >ran100 in the data sheet) each time. Finally I want to save each output in >seperate files. An example of the macro call is copied below.

[1] Don't use macros if you don't need them. I cannot tell here, but it seems like you want Monte Carlo simulation or some similar approach. So you should re-think the process.

[2] It sounds like you shouldn't be calling this 100 times, but using BY-variables and by-processing to make things run faster. Just what are you trying to do? What is your 'big picture' here? Why are you nesting macros when you're telling me that you're just getting started with SAS? Really, make your life as easy as possible.

[3] 100 columns of random variables? Maybe this isn't the best approach. What are you trying to do? Write back to the list with more information, and maybe we can help you better.

HTH, David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/