Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:09:47 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Kruger <aa3657@wayne.edu>
Subject:      Puzzling analyssi question concerning sperm-donors

I've been presented with some data from our director of In-Vitro fertilization program that has me stumped as far as how to analyze the data.

Essentially, we have n=44 women from whom eggs have been 'harvested' for IVF (in-vitero fertilization). Two (2) separate sperm donors have been used for fertilizing each woman's eggs. The question being asked: Is there a distinct and measurable 'male effect"? A contribution that can be quatified from the different sperm donors.

A summary of the design is as follows:

_Females_ _Male 1_ _Male 2_ _Outcome Measure (Pregnancy or No pregnancy)_ 1 1 2 (0-No Pregnancy, 1- Pregnancy) 2 3 4 3 5 6 4 7 8 ... ....

44 87 88

Assuming that the eggs are the same for each of the members of a male donor pair (which is not a fair assumption to make), how might one analyze this data to determine if there is a 'male effect'? Thinking about it some form of Sign Test might work. If the outcome from each pair of males is the same, there is no difference (-) but if the outcomes are different for a pair of male donors (+) then there is a difference or a 'male effect'. Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated

-- Michael Kruger "A True Prince" Statistical Analyst C.S. Mott Center Dept. of OB/GYN Wayne State University School of Medicine (313)-577-1794