Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:23:31 +1300
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         MtVictoria <MtVic105@YAHOO.CO.UK>
Subject:      Tip: Add a desktop shortcut to V9 Help files (V9 Windows)
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

I regularly refer to the online SAS Documentation, which in Version 9 comes in the form of compiled HTML files (.CHM).

I've found it useful to create a desktop short cut and further, a shortcut on the taskbar.

The SAS help files are stored by subjects for example: SAS/Connect connref.chm SAS/Graph graphref.chm SAS/FSP procedures fspproc.chm

in fact with my installation, there are chm files for over 70 subjects.

Creating a desktop shortcut (Version 9 windows): 1) Find out where your help files are installed. On my workstation, they are in C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS 9.1\core\help. To find the location at your site, open SAS, in the program editor, run the following code:

%put %sysget(sasroot) ;

On my machine this results in (the log):

1 %put %sysget(sasroot) ; C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS 9.1

This will display the location where SAS is installed.

2) Locate the folder: Using Windows explorer, locate this folder (in this case C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS 9.1), then expand the folder 'Core' and then 'Help'. In this Help folder you will find all the .chm files.

3) Find the help file you are interested in: As mentioned above, the files are by subject, so if you are always looking up the SCL reference the the help file you are interested in is the sclref.chm file, alternatively, if you want SAS help on all topics, the file is common.chm

4) Right click on the chm file and select "Send To" - "Desktop (Create shortcut)"....It's as simple as that.

You should now have a shortcut on your desktop. If you click this it will open the chm file that you selected. You can drag this desktop shortcut onto your taskbar if you would like a shortcut on your. (you may need to unlock the taskbar and/or make space on the taskbar first).

Credits: Phil Mason - SASTip104 28/06/2004 Finding help from SAS help files (Viewtable)

-- Mark Bodt Filament Limited SAS Alliance Partner PO Box 9472, Marion Square, Wellington 6030, New Zealand Email: markbodt@REMOVE_THIS_BITfilament.co.nz http://www.filament.co.nz