Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:00:37 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Susie Li <Susie.Li@TVGUIDE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Influence of the number of categories on chi-square score

A typical example of my logistic modeling:

My y dependent variable/binary - customer renewal (yes=renewed, no=not renewed)

My X independent variables/continuous - (1) current pricing structure ($0.25, $0.34,...) (2) the tenure of the customer (how long the customer has been with us, i.e., 1 year, 2 year,...)

I want to know 2 things: (1) the existence of the "association" between X and Y (2) if an association exists, what is the functional form of the association (linear, quadratic or cubic).

I've been using chi-square test for (1), and plot of log_odd versus X for (2).

Susie Li TV Guide 1211 Avenue of the Americas New York, NY 10036 Tel 212.852.7453 Email susie.li@tvguide.com

-----Original Message----- From: Peter Flom [mailto:flom@ndri.org] Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 9:47 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU; Susie Li Subject: Re: Influence of the number of categories on chi-square score

Susie

Could you tell us what your substantive question is?

What's your dependent variable? What are your independent variables? What are you trying to figure out (in layman's terms)? Do you have a priori hypotheses, and if so, what are they?

Thanks

Peter

Peter L. Flom, PhD Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core Center for Drug Use and HIV Research National Development and Research Institutes 71 W. 23rd St www.peterflom.com New York, NY 10010 (212) 845-4485 (voice) (917) 438-0894 (fax)