Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:16:11 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Tom Striker <tstriker@DIRECWAY.COM>
Subject:      Pine Siskins - Fannin county

After another absence, a couple of Pine Siskins reappeared at my feeder today, July 1st.

After my last report of Siskins in early June, Eran Tomer posted a thorough review of their status in the southern Appalachians. My query to Eran about separating immatures from adults brought a scanned plate from "Finches & Sparrows" by Peter Clement showing the buffier appearance of young birds.

I haven't yet had a clear enough or long enough view to guess about the age of the birds. I'm just in awe that they're still here! Perhaps my choice of seed has something to do with their sticking around (Cole's Finch Friends, a mix of sumflower meats, Nyger and canary seed.)

Eran's scholarly post suggests the summering siskins like conifers, especially hemlock. My 2000' elevation hillside is dry and west-facing, primarily chestnut oak, red maple and sorrelwood. There are scattered understory hemlock and some larger white pine, but it sure doesn't look like the North Woods.

I will post again if/when I get a better look.

Tom Striker

Blue Ridge / Cherry Log, GA

Western Fannin County