Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:20:01 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mark Davenport <madavenp@OFFICE.UNCG.EDU>
Subject:      Re: FW: difference between pattern matrix and structure matrix in
              EFA
Comments: To: tbabinec@ameritech.net

Doh!

SPSS won't even give you a structure matrix using varimax. What was I thinking?

Mark

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Mark A. Davenport Ph.D. Office of Student Affairs Research and Evaluation The University of North Carolina at Greensboro 149 Mossman Bldg. Greensboro, NC 27402-6170 336.334.5099 madavenp@office.uncg.edu

'An approximate answer to the right problem is worth a good deal more than an exact answer to an approximate problem' -- J. W. Tukey

>>> Anthony Babinec <tbabinec@ameritech.net> 6/22/2004 11:08:42 AM >>> Sounds like you specified an oblique rotation.

The pattern matrix elements are analogous to the standardized regression coefficients from a multiple regression. A given element of the pattern matrix indicates the importance of that variable to the factor with the influence of the other variables partialled out.

The structure matrix elements are simple correlations of the variables with the factors. They reflect all paths from a factor to a variable (this includes factor to factor paths, since factors are correlated), while the pattern coefficients reflect only the direct path from a factor to a variable.

In interpreting your factor solution, you should look at both.

Anthony Babinec

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Sarah Plouffe Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 8:44 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: difference between pattern matrix and structure matrix in EFA

Hello,

I would like ot know if anyone could explain the difference between the pattern matrix and the structure matrix that are both included in my EFA SPSS output. Which should I use to interpret the results? Can they be interpreted exactly like a factor matrix?

Thank you very much!!!

Sarah P. splou048@uottawa.ca