Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:55:29 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Sigurd Hermansen <HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Both character and numeric, Problem
Comments: To: "Elmaache, Hamani" <Hamani.Elmaache@CCRA-ADRC.GC.CA>

Hamani: I'll have to guess what the error messages mean. One of the perverse features of MS Excel allows users (often unwittingly) to enter data of different data types (character, numeric, date, etc.) in the same column. That could happen naturally, for example, where columns contain missing values. SAS and all RDBMS's require, for good reason, that all values in one column have the same data type.

We have found that after using Excel to convert the Excel spreadsheet to a *.csv file (one of the 'SAVE AS' options), SAS can read the *.csv file correctly. Otherwise you'll have to set the data type of columns to one data type per column.

Although widely used for data entry, Excel spreadsheets merely shift the burden of constructing good electronic data entry forms from the PC developer to the database programmer. One has to understand that when clients tell you that they are saving you time and resources by using spreadsheets to enter the data for you. It doesn't work that way. Sig

-----Original Message----- From: Elmaache, Hamani [mailto:Hamani.Elmaache@CCRA-ADRC.GC.CA] Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 9:40 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Both character and numeric, Problem

Hi there. I'm reading data from Excel using this code:

libname xl odbc noprompt='dsn=Excel Files; dbq=D:\ctb\ctb1999_p.xls';

proc sql noprint; select distinct "xl.'"||trim(memname)||"'n" into :xlsheets separated by ' ' from dictionary.members where libname='XL' and index(memname,'$')>0; QUIT;

data all; set &xlsheets; run;

My problem is I get message like this:

1254 set &xlsheets; ERROR: Variable DOB4 has been defined as both character and numeric. ERROR: Variable COUNTRY4 has been defined as both character and numeric. ERROR: Variable DOB5 has been defined as both character and numeric. ERROR: Variable COUNTRY5 has been defined as both character and numeric.

and I could't get SAS data. Can somebody help? Thaks a lot. Hamani.