Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main CONCH-L pageJoin or leave CONCH-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:23:23 +0100
Sender:   Conchologists of America List <CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Alfonso Pina <alfonsopina@TELEFONICA.NET>
Subject:   Re: green scaphopods

Dear Harry and Andrew,

Dentalium entalis was confirmed as the type species for the genus Antalis H. & A. Adams, 1854 in ICZN opinion 361 (1955), and so it was included in the Official List of Generic Names in Zoology. On the contrary, genus Antalis Hermannsen, 1846 was included in the Official Index of Rejected and Invalid Names in Zoology. May be this is a source of confusion?

I can't judge very well the merits of the conchological features to distinguish the two genera (Dentalium / Antalis) but, anyway, validity (or unvalidity) of the names should be ideally supported by published works. Personal opinions are undoubtely interesting many times, but it would be desirable that they are stated as just opinions. All this, in order to avoid more confusion.

Alfonso Pina Málaga, Spain alfonsopina@telefonica.net www.eumed.net/malakos

----- Original Message ----- From: Harry G. Lee To: CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 12:20 PM Subject: Re: green scaphopods

Dear Andrew,

Although the application of Antalis (a feminine noun, Henk; emended below) has often been haphazard, I don't agree that it is "undefined and should not be in use."

[text/html]