Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:19:43 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Don Stanley <don_stanley@PARADISE.NET.NZ>
Subject:   Re: What conditions cause 04 return code in MVS ?
Comments:   To: notawahoo@YAHOO.COM

Nancy

there are many. However, one which tripped our programmers up a lot and still does, (occurred when moving from V6 to V8) regards uninitialised macro variables. In V6 an unintialised macro var caused no rc problems. In V8 it is a 4. This was further compounded by a change in the scoping rules. The particular obscure case we spent a lot of time on was issung a PROC SQL inside a macro, which created a macro variable. In V6 it was always global, in V8 it followed the standard scoping rules and thus was local if a local macro variable symbol table exists at the time of the SQL running. This was really bringing various scoping anomalies into line in SAS, but unfortunately they forgot to tell us, and it impacted legacy programs.

I recall this one because of its high impact. There were overnight callouts and all sorts of problems resolving this -- so much so that the site reconsidered developing in SAS to try and ensure no repeats.

I'll try and obtain some more info from that site about other RC=4 things -- I'm haven't been their for over a year now and don't have mainframe SAS access now.

Cheers Don